According to WHO(World Health Organization) 12% of the worlds population that is about half a billion people are considered over weight. Obesity has become a major problem worldwide. Obesity is not the killer disease but it leads to health issues like high blood pressure,diabetes and cholesterol. Staying fit and losing weight has become challenge specially with the hundreds of junk food outlets in the neighborhood. Everyone,be it an adult or a child should try to lose weight if they think they are obese.
Losing weight is about burning more calories than you eat. It seems simple enough but people spend thousands every month to burn calories and stay in shape. People often take drastic measures to stay fit and get instant results like dieting,pills and those fitness machines. Eating less does more harm than benefit. To lose weight one needs a proper diet plan and exercise schedule. Stop pushing for instant results and settle in for the long run.
The first step towards losing weight is knowing your BMR(basal metabolic rate) and the activity calories you burn in a day. BMR is the amount of calories the body needs to maintain basic bodily functions like breathing and digestion. BMR number and your activity calories added together gives the amount of calories your should consume in a day.
If your BMR is 1200 and you burn 800 calories a day,you should be consuming 1200+800=2000 calories a day. Consuming over 2000 calories a day will lead to weight gain.
After knowing your calorie consumption for a day prepare a diet plan.
- Avoid white carbohydrates like rice,white bread,potatoes and fried food.
- Your daily meal should have proteins,legumes and vegetables.
- Have egg whites for breakfast,you may add one whole egg for flavor.
- Chicken breast or thighs for lunch or dinner avoid fried chicken.
- Pork is an excellent source for proteins.
Vegetable are not calorie dense. Eating raw vegetable burns calories. Can have them as salad,boiled or any way you want. Vegetable rich in fiber like carrot or asparagus give a sense of fullness.
People often quit when they go on low carbohydrate diet due to weakness and low energy. Legumes are excellent source for carbohydrates unlike rice they do not have high calorie content. Lentils,black beans and pinto beans are very good for health. Include them in your dinner, at least every alternate day.
- Avoid late night snacks else all your workouts and dieting is in vain.
- Substitute junk foods with fruits.
- Walk for 30 minutes everyday in the evening. Regular exercise not only burns calories but limits stress and anxiety.
- Hit the gym every weekend for 1 hour initially and build up to 2 hours or what ever you are comfortable with.
- Substitute soft drinks with a glass of water this saves a lot of calories. Drink at least 8 glasses of water everyday. It speeds up the metabolism of the body.
If you have been thinking ‘I need help losing weight’ you need to start today. These small remedies will benefit you greatly. Heavy dieting and exercising 5 hours a day wont do much good if you do not stand up for your goal.