Intertrigo is a skin infection caused between the folds of the skin. Intertrigo Treatment is very simple and the disease can be cured within few weeks. It is characterized by red rashes particularly in the parts of the body having overlapping of the skin which includes the arm pits, inner thighs, between the toes and fingers, genitals, under the breasts and abdomen.
Presence of moisture in between the skin folds and constant rubbing of the skin leads to growth of the fungus and bacteria on the skin. This leads to various problems like
- Itchy skin.
- Bleeding and burning sensation around the joints.
- Redness of the affected part.
- Foul odor from the affected part due to fungus growth.
- Cracked skin.
Intertrigo is mainly found in people who live in poor hygiene conditions. Excess sweating can also lead to Intertrigo Treatment. Obese people are more prone to Intertrigo. Even moist weather increases risk of Intertrigo as it increases the rate of growth of bacterias in the affected part. Intertrigo Treatment mainly focuses on keeping the body parts clean.
- Anti fungal and antibacterial ointments are given to be applied to the affected region. This prevents the further growth of bacterias and fungus and hence stops it from spreading to other parts. Clotrimazole and miconazole are a few common antifungal which are prescribed by the doctor.
- Many solutions are available which removes the moisture from the joints. Drying the affected region will kill the fungus. It must be applied several times in a day in case of excessive sweating and too much moisture.
- Apply antifungal absorbent powder to the affected area. It not only keeps the area cool but also prevents moisture in that region.
- Bacteria can be treated by oral antibiotics like flucloxacillin and erthromycin or by applying mupirocin ointment.
Personal hygiene plays a important role in skin diseases. Most of the skin diseases are due to improper living conditions. Due to this Personal hygiene is a very important factor in Intertrigo Treatment . There are various measures which you can take to prevent and control Intertrigo.
- Loose Weight – Obesity and diabetes increases the risk of Intertrigo so you must keep your weight under control .It reduces the fat folds which decreases the chances of Intertrigo.
- Wear loose clothes – in the summer so that proper air circulation is possible and the moisture in the folds does not persist for a long time. In case the toes are affected avoid wearing shoes, instead switch to sandals and slippers. Change Infant Diapers regularly otherwise they may suffer from rashes.
- Shower everyday – Keeping the body cool and clean is very important for avoiding Intertrigo. Wash the affected areas with soap regularly.
Prevention is better than cure. It is better to take precautionary measures by maintaining a proper standard of hygiene. Always keep the skin folds dry and bath regularly. Intertrigo Treatment focuses on the hygiene of the patient. Consult a doctor as soon as early symptoms are observed as it spreads very quickly to other parts of the body which may take several weeks in proper treatment.